The School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture (APLA) at Auburn University invites applications for a full-time Assistant Professor position with an appointment in the Environmental Design program. We seek candidates who have the desire and potential to help the growth of the Environmental Design program by utilizing their professional experience and translating it into creative and engaging teaching and research practices. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications, and it will be based on a nine-month academic year appointment. The position has a desired start date of August 16, 2022.
The Environmental Design program (ENVD) is an inter-disciplinary, non-professional program in the School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture in the College of Architecture, Design and Construction. The program builds its strength on an understanding of the interconnected nature of all design and construction disciplines. Real-life projects, human-centric problem-solving methods, and design and systems thinking, are continuous threads throughout the ENVD curriculum. ENVD graduates are nimble and adaptable designers who are ready to tackle complex challenges in the built environment, and at the same time, are well prepared to pursue a graduate degree in a number of design and construction related fields.
The individual in this position will be expected to:
1. Teach undergraduate courses within the ENVD program.
2. Work with student organizations and/or mentor students.
3. Collaborate with other disciplines within the school, college and university.
4. Interact with the ENVD advisory and curriculum committee, and ENVD alumni.
5. Pursue the scholarship of teaching, research, and/or outreach in accordance with the mission of the University. This position includes teaching multiple 3-credit hour courses per semester (estimate of 3 per semester). Candidates will be expected to continue and/or develop an active program of scholarly and creative work within any discipline represented in APLA
is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their teaching, research, outreach, and service. Excellent interpersonal skills are required.