The Department of Art and Design at Cleveland State University seeks an innovative and versatile design educator, with a focus on visual communication and a commitment to the professional practice of graphic design to begin on August 21, 2023. CSU is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. CSU is striving to be a nationally recognized and student focused public research institution that provides accessible, affordable, and Engaged Learning opportunities for all.
Candidates should demonstrate broad training that includes strong foundations in typography, aesthetics, and conceptual development applied across media. An ideal candidate will have experience with research-based design practices; understanding of information architecture, web standards, and user-experience principles; and an ability to adapt to technological and philosophical shifts in the design industry. Applicants should display evidence of strong interpersonal and communication skills and active engagement with students.
Development and teaching of courses at all levels of the undergraduate design curriculum, in multiple subject areas.
- MFA in Visual Communication Design or Graphic Design, MDes, or equivalent international terminal degree;
- At least one-year teaching experience at the university or post-secondary level;
- At least one-year professional practice experience;
- Strong knowledge of standard applications for the design industry, including production software for print and digital media.
- Experience teaching diverse and/or underserved student populations;
- Ability to teach HTML/CSS front-end coding and user experience/user interface design;
- Experience with curricular development at the university level;
- Teaching experience at all levels of the undergraduate design curriculum;
- Demonstrated excellence in professional practice;
- Evidence of success with creating a safe and inclusive environment for learning.
Applicants should apply online at: https://hrjobs.csuohio.edu/postings/19071.
Applicants will be asked to complete name and contact information, and upload the following documents including:
- Cover letter, which must include a brief statement on teaching philosophy and how applicant has created a safe and inclusive environment for learning;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Samples of Professional Work – 10-15 examples of the candidate’s professional work, submitted in the form of a single PDF no larger than 5MB;
- Student Samples – 10-15 examples of the candidate’s students’ work, submitted in the form of a single PDF (separate from the professional work), no larger than 5MB;
- Diversity Statement – To meet the minimum qualifications, all applicants must provide a substantive answer to the following prompt: Cleveland State University is an urban campus serving a racially, culturally, and economically diverse student body. Diversity is extremely important to CSU. Explain your experience serving diverse students and how you will make a positive contribution to CSU’s inclusive community. For applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experience, note how your work will contribute to CSU’s commitment to diversity and mission as an urban serving university.
- Reference Letters – Applicants will also be asked to provide the contact information for three reference providers. Please inform your reference providers that the University will be sending an email with instructions on how to upload reference letters.
Review begins on March 3, 2023. Open until filled. Preference will be given to applications that are completed by March 3, 2023.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualification.
Cleveland State University is an urban campus serving a racially, culturally, and economically diverse student body. Diversity is extremely important to CSU. Explain your experience serving diverse students and how you will make a positive contribution to CSU’s inclusive community. For applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experience, note how your work will contribute to CSU’s commitment to diversity and mission as an urban serving university.
CSU is an urban university with more than 15,000 students located in the heart of Cleveland, OH. According to the Brookings Institution, CSU is No. 18 in the U.S. among public universities that fulfill a critical dual mission: providing upward mobility and conducting impactful research. CSU is the only Ohio university in the top tier of the Brookings list. For additional information about the city of Cleveland, see https://www.thisiscleveland.com/.
Hire is contingent upon the maintenance of existing levels of funding from the State of Ohio. Offer of employment is contingent on satisfactory completion of the University’s verification of credentials (including evidence of a Ph.D.) and other information required by law and/or University policies or practices, including but not limited to a criminal background check.
It is the policy of Cleveland State University to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran, or genetic information.